The History of the First Church of the Nazarene in Parkersburg, WV
A first attempt at organizing a Church of the Nazarene in Parkersburg was made in 1923. These early efforts were, however, unsuccessful and the struggling church soon became inactive.
Later, in 1931, the present First Church of the Nazarene was originated with the following nineteen charter members: Catherine Bishop, Raymond Brown, Hannah Cutlip, Mr. & Mrs. Harold Galloway, Stella Green, David Hilliard, Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Kessor, Letha Marshall, Jack Marshall, Lucy McCluskey, Mr. & Mrs. Richard J. McPeek, Mr. & Mrs. F.D. Rowley, Mr. & Mrs. Williams and the mother of Mr. Williams.
The congregation first worshiped in the building on St. Mary's Avenue; for three months in a home on Dillaway Street; next in a building they erected on 15th and Oak Streets. During the ministry of Rev. Roy T. McKinney, money was raised for the construction of a new building and lots were purchased on the corner of 19th St. and Pearcy Ave. This proposed new building became a reality under the leadership of Rev. H. Harvey Hendershot and was ready for worship October 4th , 1953. Soon after, a parsonage was purchased and the old parsonage sold. In later years the parsonage on Liberty Street was sold and two houses beside the present church were purchased. Under the leadership of Rev. John F. Hay an all purpose, recreational building was built behind the church.